Stop CPP investments in firms supporting Israel's military, police and prisons
This petition is now closed.
End date: Apr 01, 2013
Signatures collected: 1377
Signature goal: 3000
Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT) research shows that in 2011, the CPP had about $1.5 billion worth of shares in 68 firms profiting from this lucrative business with Israel.
Despite hundreds of UN resolutions decrying the illegal occupation of Palestinian land, Israel has received billions in military aid from the US and continues to violate international laws with impunity. Using one of the world’s best-equipped militaries, Israel’s recent bombardments killed thousands of innocents in Lebanon and Gaza. In 2005, a year after Israel’s Separation Wall was declared illegal by the UN International Court of Justice, Palestinian civil society initiated the Boycott Divestment Sanctions campaign calling on “people of conscience all over the world” to “launch broad boycotts, implement divestment initiatives, and to demand sanctions against Israel, until Palestinian rights are recognised in full compliance with international law.”
In 2011, an arms embargo against Israel, endorsed by such Nobel peace laureates as South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, called for a halt to Israel’s supply of “arms and related materiel of all types, including… weapons and ammunition, military vehicles and equipment, para-military police equipment, including dual-use equipment, and spare parts.”
We do not want the CPP to support firms selling weapons, vehicles or equipment to Israeli government institutions or agencies that cloak their violations of international law behind deceptive euphemisms like “defence” and “homeland security.”
We call on the CPP Investment Board to divest from firms that supply Israel with military, police, surveillance or prison-related products and services.
Important! After signing, you’ll need to CONFIRM your signature
After filling in the form at right, you’ll need to reply to an email from us called: “Please confirm your signature on PETITION re: CPP and Israel” This is required to CONFIRM your signature and actually get your name on the petition. If you do not receive an e-mail from us shortly after clicking the “SIGN NOW” button, then please check your spam mail folder(s).
- Required fields! Petition fields marked with asterisks (*) are required for the Canadian government to consider your signature valid.
- Email Minister Flaherty & the CPPIB! After signing, an email will automatically be sent to Finance Minister Flaherty and the CPP Investment Board (with a cc: to COAT). You can modify (or delete) this email. To do so, change the text seen below the petition form at right. Your name and address will be added automatically to this email.
Note: The Palestinian call for a Boycott Divestment Sanctions campaign “urges various forms of boycott against Israel until it meets its obligations under international law by:
- Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands occupied in June 1967 and dismantling the Wall;
- Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
- Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN Resolution 194.”
Organisational Endorsements: This Coalition to Oppose the Arms Trade (COAT) petition has been officially endorsed by:
Alliance of Concerned Jewish Canadians
Barnard-Boecker Centre Foundation
Canadian Voice of Women for Peace
Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid
Halifax Peace Coalition
Holy Land Awareness and Action (A Task Group of SW Presbytery in Toronto Conference of the United Church of Canada)
Independent Jewish Voices Canada
Ottawa Raging Grannies
Palestinian Canadian Congress
Queers Against Israeli Apartheid
Science for Peace
Victoria Raging Grannies